Thursday, April 4, 2024

The Gift of Time and Leaving Well...

 


A childhood friend that I have walked life with recently received the hard news that she has aggressive cancer.  I wrote her a letter that I want to save and put out in the world.  The content is too important not to share.

"Ever since you revealed your diagnosis, I haven’t stopped thinking of “stuff” I want to share with you.  If at any point, this letter is too much, put it down. You know my heart.  I will, with all my heart, battle your diagnosis through prayer.  There is power in prayer and there is power in the name of Jesus.  I believe in it with every ounce of my being.  I continually pray the powerful healing name of Jesus over your body daily and often hourly as you come to mind.  As I said before, the only power I have to change this physical situation is through the power of prayer, but I can challenge you spiritually.

Your main focus is to fight hard against this cancer.  To do everything in your power to fight it.  You need to give it 100% of your energy.  I believe our God heals and until He takes us home, we need to live this life to the fullest and fight against the enemy.  We need to not let anything rob us of the mission God has set before us.  

Part of fighting hard against cancer is allowing yourself the grace to mourn and lament over this diagnosis. I will share more about that later.  

At the same time, you have been given something else… a beautiful and powerful gift that also needs 100% of your attention.  At times, it will take everything in you to live it out.  When we talked on Thursday night, we both agreed that you now have a new mission.  A chapter of your life that will be extremely hard at times, but for whatever reason God has entrusted you with it.  

You may not remember this, but I sure do.  When my mom died, you told me you were jealous.  I asked why and you said, “The Lord took my dad in an instant.  I didn’t get to say goodbye.  God gave you time with your mom.”  Our God is a gracious god.  He was no less gracious to you with the loss of your dad than he was to me with the loss of my mom, but I understood your pain.  

I want to flip that narrative though and look at it differently.  Our gracious God gives each of us different gifts, different trials, and different responsibilities.  Early on, you got the beautiful gift of marriage and babies while I got the gift of singleness for a very long season in my life.  Both were beautiful gifts however each had their own trials and responsibilities that came with them.  We do not know the hour God will call any of us home however I do know with everything in me, God has given you the beautiful gift and responsibility of time through this diagnosis.  The truth is that we are all given the gift of time but so many of us do not live with the reality of it until a trial like this comes along.  

My mom lived those 12 weeks with intentionality.  She fought the cancer hard.  She however saw something bigger than just the cancer when she was diagnosed.  For her, every encounter with others became sacred.  Looking back, I think my mom always lived that way but after the diagnosis, it catapulted her.  Every hospital stay, she was present for those that came into her room.  But it was so much more than that too.  My mom left this earth well.  Please hear me clearly.  I don’t believe your diagnosis has to be a death sentence.  I am praying and believe in complete healing here on earth.  With that said, let it awaken you to a new mission.  My mom intentionally met with those she loved and said what she needed to say to them.  I can’t speak for my siblings but for me she left no word unspoken.  Those words have lived on in me for these past 14 years.  The conversations we had brought healing and freedom in my life.  The rest of this e-mail I want to focus on that… leave nothing unsaid or undone.  As Christians we do not talk about this part of running the race well.  Until God calls you home, your mission is to fight the cancer hard, but you still have a mission with your family and close friends.  I will be blunt.  You are not finished training your girls in the way they should go.  You are not finished being a help-mate to your husband.  You are not finished bringing healing and freedom to your family and friends.  How you walk out your diagnosis in faith is huge but just as important and maybe even more important is how you walk out your faith with your family.  

Please, I beg you.  Be like my mom.  Leave nothing unspoken or unresolved.  Tell those around you how proud and thankful you are for each of them.  There are also hard conversations you are going to have to have as well.  Conversations that will take everything in you.  You are going to need to have hard conversations with your spouse and hard conversations with the girls (& probably some hard conversations with family/friends too) in order to bring healing and release so that they can be all God has called them to be.  I have seen both sides of illness.  I have seen the beautiful gift of earthly healing and I have seen the beautiful gift of complete heavenly healing.  It is the second I want to challenge you on.  If God calls you home, you will be free and completely whole; however your family will still be here on earth.  How you leave them will matter… leave them whole.  With the way my life unfolded, I have seen and walked life alongside the loss of loved ones.  I now fully understand some of the things my mom said during our last conversation before she was called home.  

My mom’s words live in my heart and mind, but I wish I had written them down.  I would love to encourage you to record or start a journal for your husband and the girls… maybe three journals (one for each).  I am sharing some of the stuff my mom shared with me, but I am also sharing some of my own experiences too.  Through Christ, you have the power to live free and free those you love.  This freedom I am talking about (in a lot of ways) can only come from you.  

As I said, share with each of them how proud you are of them.  Leave nothing unsaid.  Tell them your dreams and hopes both physically but also spiritually for them.  Point them over and over again to God as often as possible.  Write to them… journal and challenge them in areas you may have stayed away from challenging them in the past.  

As hard as it will be for you to read this next section… do it Gayle.  Talk to your husband… Have hard conversations.  I am not just talking about your finances and inheritance but the more important stuff we sometimes try to void.  You probably already know what those conversations need to be.  But in case you need a little help… If there are things that need resolution in your marriage, things that need forgiveness, do it.  Leave absolutely nothing unsaid to him.  If there are ways you have hurt each other over the years, do the hard work of talking it out, forgive and get it resolved.   

Here’s another hard one… You need to talk to him about getting remarried.  You need to give him your blessing.  If something happens to you and if he decides to remarry – It will be easier for him if he knows he has your blessing.  That marriage doesn’t rob or steal from your marriage.  It would only add to what you already have.  I know that is hard to hear and something you don’t want to think about… but you need to.   Believe me, he will mourn you.  He will be lost without you.  But you don’t want him to stay in that pain.  You need to free him to love, and you need to be secure in your love for each other.  There is no greater love than that.  It is crazy but true.  I don’t know how to explain it but if he chooses to remarry, that marriage will honor you and your marriage. You need to have hard talks with your girls too.  Yes, you need to talk to them about the possibility of their dad remarrying if something happens to you.  They need to know he has your blessing, and they need to know that it is ok to welcome and embrace her into the family.  Loving her and accepting her, only honors you.  

Another issue is how to mourn well. I am not saying this diagnosis will be terminal but use this time to mourn and lament in prayer over the diagnosis and teach your family to do the same.  People often feel that they are not honoring their loved ones that have passed if they are not continually mourning.  They feel a sense of disloyalty if they are not mourning or if they love and embrace another.  Jeff and I coined the phrase, “Joy and sorrow can and do dance together beautifully.”  There is so much deep truth in that.  As you learn to lament, you will see how joy and sorrow can do that together.  Talk to them and include them in your lament.  Show them what godly mourning looks like.  Give them freedom to lament & turn to God.  Help them to see God and trust Him in the process.  I have gone through so much loss in my life and have watched others as well.  It is way too easy to get stuck in the loss and pain and be consumed by it.  I have watched people be controlled and hindered by it.  I don’t want that for you, and you don’t want that for your family.  Teach them to lament.  

There are other things I want to share but I won’t write them down, I’d rather share them verbally.  God has given you the beautiful gift of time.  Please use it to fight hard against this cancer but also use it to point your family to God’s sovereignty.  God is not finished using you.  You are not finished being a help-mate to your husband, and you are not finished teaching the girls how to be spiritual giants here on earth.  Part of honoring God is honoring others while you walk through this chapter in your life.  

My mom said over and over during her diagnosis… “I have a friend who sticks closer than a brother.”  I now understand why that verse was so important to her.  No one could walk with her through the diagnosis like Jesus did.  Let Jesus lead and guide you through this journey.  

I am praying and believing in God for complete physical and spiritual healing here on earth!"

 

No comments: