Monday, July 29, 2024

Sacrificial Generosity



1 Kings‬ ‭17‬:‭8-9, 12‬ “Then the word of the Lord came to him, “Arise, go to Zarephath, which belongs to Sidon, and dwell there. Behold, I have commanded a widow there to feed you…. And she said, “As the Lord your God lives, I have nothing baked, only a handful of flour in a jar and a little oil in a jug. And now I am gathering a couple of sticks that I may go in and prepare it for myself and my son, that we may eat it and die.” 

Struck by a few thoughts this morning… 

First, God had (past tense) commanded the widow to feed him but she still shared with Elijah her situation… why? 

Second, offering my last meal to a stranger would be difficult but Elijah asked her to feed him before she feeds her own son. It is easy to be generous when it is convenient, but this is crazy sacrificial generosity. 

Luke‬ ‭6‬:‭38‬  “give, and it will be given to you. Good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be put into your lap. For with the measure you use it will be measured back to you.”

No comments: